Chapter 01 part iii

Playing with the small arms, Mary thought “what if I ...” A small whirring sound beneath the base of the object seemed to resonate along the fingertips in contact with the arms. “Of course,” exclaimed Mary as she stepped back from the stone dais. “It is an astrolabe! I used to build these at home when daddy brought home stories!” Excited, Mary watched as the well rotated in place and beneath the aligned arrowheads, a small stone had recessed near her left knee. Bending over, Mary noticed a faint odor. “Is that … violets,” asked Mary as her eyes drew closer to the hole. “Why do I smell violets?”

Looking closer, Mary realized the hole into the well went back only a foot; within the hole lay a small bed of blue petals. Amidst the petals lay a small metal object. Near her right foot, Mary picked up a small stick and gently placed it within the hole. Not hearing any response from the hole, Mary moved the small piece of metal closer to the edge. “I wonder what this is,” considered Mary as she moved the small cup-shaped object closer to the edge of the hole. As the metal left the petals, a quite scraping behind the cup drew Mary’s eyes toward back of the hole. The petals were being pushed out and the small cup was moving slowly toward Mary. As Mary deftly grabbed the cup amidst falling petals, the hidden stone returned to fill the well.

Turning the small cup around, Mary considered thoughtfully. “I wonder … this looks similar to my flask.” Removing the flask from her belt, Mary drew the cup close to the flask. The markings along-side the flask matched the markings along the cup. “Ah, I see,” said Mary as she turned the cap with the opening down and placed it atop the flask. Gently closing the flask, Mary returned it to her belt. “I was curious where the top went,” thought Mary as she continued on the path. “Now I must find who placed the flask’s lid in the well.”

Following the path with her eyes, the small bricks that had accompanied her up the hill dwindled, and only smooth stonework remained; Mary continued along, walking up the gradual hill, reaching the edge of a band of trees. “I should set up camp,” thought Mary as she eyed the branches for use as tinder and shelter. “These look ideal for the roof; and hopefully the dawn will bring an answer.”

Comments

oooooo... flask! top! well!

pray continue as i can hardly wait. i am LOVING this story and adore the form of writing you are using.

i love you [and i'm not biased]. you have so many talents and giftings, it's a true blessing to see them coming into play... in this case, with writing!

*hug*
Wong said…
I remember when I was thirteen, my father gave me a computer for studying. And beside studying, there was a game in computer, mystery game, that I love it so much. About young girl who get a mystery letter in her desk. One day, she go out from her house and walking to forest as the letter command. She meet some mystery things. Scary,but really love it. But I couldnt finished it,badly, I dont know what's the name that game.Really miss the story.
Then now, I read your novel. Its like finding "missing story" before, I'm so glad and interesting to read your book until finish. Ruth is right, you have talents. And I cant wait patient to read the next chapter! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 01 part ii

Chapter 01 part i