Believe

So, let's start with something "simple".

I believe in the Bible.

I believe the original documents are the inspired word of God and that every translation gets some things wrong (because all translation loses and gains something in the transition - and don't get me started on the versions that intentionally omit certain things).

That being said, I have had an inconsistently successful time seeing how it applies to everyday life. Sometimes I do think it's literal, sometimes it's a metaphor, and sometimes I think it will only be clear after I have a better/more mature walk with God.  But that's generally giving the Bible credit.  Like I said, I believe the Bible is true.

I also, in my wanderings, tried to study Greek; the idea was simple - learn the language in which the New Testament was written. I was passionate about it - especially when I learned that the particular dialect of Greek we were studying was basically unchanged from the time of its writing until now. No need for translation, no need for conversion - it's implicitly modern!  And a little later, I discovered something else - some passages in the New Testament can be interpreted differently based upon the paradigm you bring to the table. This astounded me and fundamentally broke my desire to learn Greek.

Phrased a different way: Within the contents of the inspired word of God are passages that do not have an objective interpretation.  How does one reconcile the idea that the inspired word of God is completely true while also accepting that some passages don't have one clear, objective interpretation?

The closest I've gotten to it is the idea that the most important part is a relationship with God. And in my dealings of relationships with people, I've consistently recognized that some aspects are simply never captured correctly in word form. Thus, I presume that some weakness in linear communication provides for wiggle room in the written form. Miscommunication can thus occur in the ONE FORM one would presume to be unalienable and incorruptible.

Thus, I will never be sola scriptura.

This is associated with what I recognize as a fundamental weakness in my reading the Bible: me.

Intention for next post: Why should someone believe in the Bible?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 01 part ii

Chapter 01 part iii

Chapter 01 part i