Statement

I see a cavernous, antique judgment hall. I see the ancient, well-worn wooden seats which define it. I see the heavy, velvet curtains which obscure the outside light from venturing in. And I see the well-worn flagstone floor beneath my feet.

On every side, a hostile glance, a whisper, a turning away. The murmur, so barely discernible to the unschooled ear, seems a din within my own. Like a crashing wave or incoming storm, I hear each whisper, each comment. So grateful for the sharp, electric crash of the gavel on its base; silencing the crowd and restoring the silence.

I hear the pronouncement as a numbness creeps through my members. No hope. No amnesty. There is no escape.

Her statement stands and by it, I am condemned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 01 part ii

Chapter 01 part iii

Chapter 01 part i