Book Declaration

So I'm bored.

I'm bored with not having something published.

I'm bored with letter excuses justify me not quite finishing things.

I'm bored with letting interruptions self-justify non-completion.



So I'm committing.

I'm going to do SOMETHING every day for the next three weeks on a single book.

I've got enough context I should be able to write something.

Daily work won't just be writing - it'll include all the bits.


Workflow as follows:

i. Pick a story idea (doesn't have to be the best, it just has to be chosen)

ii. Brainstorm on it

iii. If we can brainstorm sufficient for at least 16 primary nodes, we're set
     Otherwise, repeat i-iii

At this point the book exists but is insufficiently abstracted

iv. However, if we haven't picked something sufficient in 2 days, go with the one with the most

v. Break out each primary node into 5-20 sub-nodes

vi. Identify 2-3 bullets for each sub-node

vii. Punchy/funny titles for each primary node

viii. Arrange the primary nodes for greatest clarity / flow

At this point - the book is fully abstracted - each primary node is a chapter

ix. Write 2-5 paragraphs per sub-node

Calculation: Average sentence has 5 words so an average paragraph would have 10-25 words; each sub-node will thus have 20-50 words. That gives each primary node 160 - 1000 words and we thus have a 2560 - 16000 word "novel".

With practice, these numbers will improve - they presume the possibility of formulaic output and reliable creativity.  It also doesn't factor in editing.

Also of interest - it feels like this whole thing can be done in 1 week.

So let's try that:

SMART goal: I commit to a completed (first-pass, pre-edited) book by 20 Sep 2016 ... that is, 1 week.

I have 9 specific goals above; approximate timeline:

Day 01: i, ii, iii, iv (abstract out book)
Day 02: v (generate sub-nodes)
Day 03: vi, vii, viii (titles, chapter-arrangement)
Day 04-09: ix (writing)

Given this planning-heavy approach, will I stall before I even start writing or will I stall elsewhere.

Regardless: I'm bored with being the type of fellow without being published.

And fearless reader: I invite you to join me to pick something YOU have been stalling on. Dance!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 01 part ii

Chapter 01 part iii

Chapter 01 part i