10-04 - Mining IV

 (Published 15-Nov-2020 21:32:07)

Agonquil 19

The miner ghosts brought up a journal discovered under some rubble. There was apparently a war a very long time ago - between two groups. One was a set of vampires who lived many, many levels below - huge underground caverns at a depth of something like ten or fifteen levels below the lowest mining shaft. None of the vampires ever became miners; however, several of the vampires apparently created the company whose primary purpose was to hide bodies. It was why the books I found when I became supervisor to the mine didn't add up.


The other group were dwarves. Excellent, natural miners - they had a knack for knowing how deep they were, how to find the optimal geode, and so many other things that we humans simply have to scramble to catch up regarding. Underground, they are the kings; there were more than happy to work for the vampires, to mine and find precious metals - but they began to rebel when the vampires started to demand tribute, to expect all of the mined goods to be turned over, AND to use the dwarves as food.


After a particularly nasty fight left a few of the vampires underground and overpowered by dwarves, the vampires started to hire humans. We're apparently much easier to train and much easier to control; however, the moment humans started to fill vacant mining positions, the dwarves began to revolt. Apparently, the vampires can't turn dwarves - and so the dwarves have no reason to fear them. Likewise, dwarves can see in the dark and their skin is impervious to the bite of a vampire. About the only point of superiority a vampire has over a dwarf is that they can fly - which doesn't help very much if you're underground.


The first dwarven revolt was a complete success - and left the mine very empty. I believe my father was one of the first humans in that initial wave of human miners who re-filled the mining ranks.


I don't mean to be food for a vampire - so I'm leaving the mine. This will be my last post. I learned how to lace a thin layer of garlic into my clothing and I now know how to run a mine. Perhaps this will serve me well in another stead - but I will not simply wait to be a victim.


May those who read this journal fare well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 01 part ii

Chapter 01 part iii

Chapter 01 part i